We’ve managed to smile most evenings while hunched over a box of clutter, but the stress doesn’t fade away with the morning sun. The small creases in my partner’s brow prove to be fresh with worry. Will we finish it all by May?
Not only are we simplifying our 2-bedroom apartment (and a storage bin), but we’re also on the search for a cheaper and smaller apartment. My family and friends warned us that we’re trying to change too much at once, but we can’t turn back now; we gave the landlord our notice.
To ease some of this tension we have tried to also squeeze a few nights of meditation and Mad Men. As fleeting as these moments might feel, they’ve brought some clarity and reassurance. The most important tool that we’ve found though is realizing that things aren’t as tough and threatening as they might seem. A good way of reinforcing that belief has been listing the things that we’re grateful for. We’ll admit, our hipster attitudes almost prevented this list from happening, but here ya go…
Our gratitude list.
- Sleepy time tea, comfy socks and Mad Men before bed
- Lora watching Josh play Bioshock Infinite
- Evenings sipping beer (and munching on tots) at Galaxy Hut while our landlord shows the apartment
- Sunny morning walking commute
- Successfully selling stuff on Craigslist
- Great jobs
- No more credit card debt
- Spending lunch together
- Healthy, organic food
- The anticipation of buying bikes for our new (assumed) longer commute
- Our large orange kitty, Windigo
- Savings account
- Pretty pink flowers in the trees outside
- Family and friends
- Insight Meditation Community
- Removing the tea stain from the carpet
- Long after work walks talking about our day with each other
- My new Be Green Bath and Body lotions
- Memorial Day 2013 trip home to see family